Wednesday, September 21, 2011

R.E.M. BREAK UP

Arguing “This is Awesome” vs. “This Sucks” about REM’s “Stand” song and video in my junior high cafeteria drew philosophical lines in my head and heart that went way beyond music and – for better or worse – went on to define my life in probably too many ways. Like many folks, I’ve probably written off REM for at least ten years – but watching this video reminds me how much I love them. Absolutely fell in love with these guys in the last 30 seconds of the video – when they make their only appearance: the bad haircuts, the anti-fashion, the genuine human ugliness of their faces that so clearly separated them from Jon Bon Jovi and George Michael. I remember my best friend in high school calling up after he’d bought Automatic for the People to describe it to me, song by song, and telling me “Everybody Hurts” was the “worst, dumbest, cheesiest song you’ve ever heard – except its incredible.” Though I kind of wish they’d called it quits before Mike Mills started wearing Nudie suits or maybe when Bill Berry quit, that was their decision. Enjoy your break-up, you amazing bastards.

No comments: