Wednesday, March 30, 2011

“NEW” SONGS & OLD DEMOS


About a year ago, and even a few months before that, we started planning to work on a new fancy-pants recording – analog, studio, engineer; lots of specialized vocabulary words. The long story > short version of events goes: we recorded and recorded and then ran out of money. And personally – as the songwriter/ point-person/ cheerleader for such a project – I ran out of steam. And patience. And confidence. And – again – money. However, we did make various demos. One is the straight-off-the-floor demo (“American Car”) – recorded head-to-toe moments after I wrote it. Two are full-band (“The Sin…” and “You’re Not Dangerous at All”) – recorded by SR 2.0 in preparation for our Big Orange sessions. And two feature my own half-assed cut-n-paste drumming and indecisive keyboard playing (“Waiting in the Night” and “What’s The World Coming To”). One last one (“Monster”) features about 25 seconds (from 1:35-2:00) of drum work by Matt Moulis, recorded about five minutes after I played him the song for the first time.

I have resisted posting the demoiest of my demos for a long time because they are frequently so “unpolished”. The rough edges are very rough and (often) easy fixes, but I grow to love/accept/overlook them. In the next couple months, I’m hoping to finish some new recordings (featuring a couple of these songs, some other old ones, and some new ones). I’ll pay attention to what I’m doing, get them mastered properly, maybe make people pay a nickel for them. Who knows. Someday I hope to complete the full-band SR2.0 "lost recordings" that we began last year. In the meantime, here’s some info and link to download – because I’m trying to not be so hung up on this stuff.

No comments: